Thursday, February 14, 2008

Random Coincidences

Jon here.

Over the last couple weeks, I've had several random coincidences. I don't know why these occur. Is it my subconciousness making the decisions? Hard to say. I definitely note when these situations occur though.

I have 2 examples from the past month.

1. "Blithering Idiot". Seems to be the phrase of the month for me. It all started when I used the phrase in my review of Merle's Door. I noticed a couple days later that the beer I was drinking was called "Blithering Idiot". (Side note: decent barleywine style beer from Weyerbacher Brewery. Flavorful but not overly powerful as some barleywines can be). I had purchased the 6-pack before writing the review. A week later, Shannon looked at me one day and said "why do you keep referring to yourself and others as a 'blithering idiot'?" I had subconsciously worked the phrase into my everyday conversation.

2. Bruce Willis x 3. Another strange coincidence that we unintentionally rented 3 straight movies that starred Bruce Willis. We saw "Live Free or Die Hard", "Hostage", and "Lucky Number Slevin."

Strange?

1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

I refer to this as "Weird Freaky Things" and it happens to me ALL OF THE TIME. Like what you wrote about.

I used to keep a list of them all but it started to really freak me out so I stopped keeping the list.

But, even now, something will happen (such as, Mark and I will be discussing an actor, an author, an event in history, then, pick up the crossword puzzle and said topic is either a clue or an answer); he'll say "Weird Freaky Thing"!

The one that ALWAYS happens to me is that I see my birthday 1217 all of the time. I'll come in from a walk, glance at the clock, it's 12:17. I'll wake up in the middle of the night, look over at the clock, it's 12:17. I'll get a piece of mail that has a time stamp on it; 12:17. I'll save $12:17 in coupons/card savings at the store; the "fresh by date" on a carton of milk or package of butter will be 12:17, so on and so forth.

I'm not sure, I guess, if these things are really freaky or some people are simply more intune with what's going on out in the universe.

The Blithering Idiot thing, though, is a perfect example of what happens to me. And, we've also had that experience of realizing the last several movies we have watched have had at least one similar actor/actress in it; quite unintentionally.

Ok, this BI is gonna sign off now!