Friday, February 29, 2008

February 2008 Books

1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy. By the same author who wrote No Country for Old Men (the Oscar nominated movie). He wrote in an interesting style. I found it distracting at first but adjusted by the end. Very vivid prose describing a bleak and ruined world. Not what you would call an uplifting book. The book conveyed enough facts to give a sense of the anarchy and loneliness without explicitly revealing the cause. The fact McCarthy allows the reader to imagine how the world became devastated is why I liked this book.

2. Hornet Flight by Ken Follett. A very light read from an author that specializes in WWII historical fiction. An enjoyable read because the books are based on enough facts that you learn something. Who knew the Danish resistance provided valuable information to the Allies proving that the Nazis had superior radar? Enjoyable, fast read that is perfect for the beach or campground. In my case, I read over 2 days while sick with the flu. Why I had the flu even though I received a flu vaccine is fodder for another post.

3. Absolute Friends by John LeCarre. Very rarely do I fail to finish reading a book. I gave up on this one after about 200 pages (entire book was slightly over 400) of character development and providing context for the main plot. I think there was a main plot (the cover insert said there was) but I wasn’t even close to getting to it. A quick flip through the pages indicated the “action” started around page 300. If the point of the book can be handled in 100 pages, why have a 400 page book? This shows you must be wary of famous authors approaching the end of their career. In this case, his reputation alone will get his books published, no matter how bad, because his name recognition will guarantee a best-seller. Note that I have read and enjoyed other LeCarre books like The Constant Gardener.

4. Split Infinity by Piers Anthony. No, he has not written a new book. I read this book again after finding it, along with many others of his books, in a box. I thought it would be fun to re-read a book by my favorite author from childhood. What did I think? The story was innovative and unique. The description of the “Game” and how it is played is fascinating. The writing was simple and direct. Add all the sexual encounters and you have the perfect science fiction book for a teenage boy.

5. Baby Bargains, 6th Edition by Denise and Alan Fields. More of a reference book providing information on the best values for any baby item you might purchase. Definitely not a book you read cover-to-cover. Many, many good tips on manufacturers and stores. Essential reading if only for understanding what to look for in a crib and mattress. Also, this book was one source of my “necessities” focus that got me in trouble when registering.

6. The Everything Father-To-Be Book: A Survival Guide For Men by Kevin Nelson. First, look at the title of the book....the only way a man would buy this book is if the work “survival” is in the title. As if having a baby is equivalent to being stranded in the Alaskan wilderness with only a pocket knife for protection against the grizzlies. This book was written with all the best intentions of educating new fathers, but WOW….this book was written for idiots. The authors assumed the expecting Dads did not know anything about pregnancy and babies. The first couple chapters focused on “birds and the bees” material that I learned in Sex-Ed in junior high. Later chapters encouraged the father that it was time to “grow-up.” To me, a new Dad would be in trouble if a book had to tell him that he couldn’t go play poker every Saturday night anymore or watch sports all weekend. As an older Dad, maybe I’m just more mature. But even if we had kids when we were in our 20’s, partying with my friends would not be high on my priority list. The final few chapters provided more useful information. I especially liked the checklists. Example: list of items to have in the “birth suitcase” when it is time.

4 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Yours is the 2nd positive review I've read regarding "The Road"; sounds like one I might read.

Ditto "Split Infinity", I don't think I ever read that one. Now that I've gotten into Terry Goodkind's books (one number four ouf something like 12), I might get a kick out of some of Anthony's books (I did read the majority of the Xanth series which might be worth a re-read at some point).

I don't think I'll be reading any parenting books. Well, that's not true. I've been reading Cesar Millan's books which is parenting of a sort.

Mrs. B said...

Ok, what I means to write was:

"...(ON number four OUT OF ("ouf" must have been my brain's way of making up its own contraction) something like 12).

It is early yet.

Analee said...

if you are interested, jon, in reading "father" books, i got nathaniel one that is REALLY funny (but good).

it is called "be prepared: a practical handbook for new dads" by gary greenberg and jeannie hayden. it looks like s boy scout hand book. it covers everything from identifying different cries to gas management, to circuit training your baby. it REALLY is a good and practical book. i just thumbed through it again and a lot of it is "true" (you'll do it with yours, whether you read and learn about it or figure it out on your own)!

Analee said...

oh, and you can borrow our copy if you would rather... but it was pretty cheap on EBAY.