Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Good Day

Well, I thought that I would give this a try...

Today was a good day, but, unfortunately, one of those days that I worry that Jon will come home, look around, and think (because he would never say it) "what the hell did she do all day" because the house looks pretty much the same with the exception of normal bed making, kitchen sweeping, etc. chores as it did when he left.

First, let me say that I am going through one of my bad insomnia/heartburn/hungry in the middle of the night bouts again. Two nights ago, it was two popsicles and an hour and a half watching TV and, last night, it was one popsicle, two tums, and almost three hours willing the boob tube to lull me back to sleep! And, yes, if you haven't guessed, popsicles are my new "thing"...solves the hunger and thirst thing at the same time, and I don't necessarily feel like I have to get up and brush my teeth after indulging at 2 a.m. I swim in sweat at night so it also helps to keep me cool. I definitely think that my productivity and zeal for house purging and organization wanes slightly on days after these bad nights.

At any rate, I went to the Preservation Durham Lunch & Learn today. The topic was "From BC to Barcodes." For those of you who heard the crazy water story from Tosca's last month, they actually provided bottled water this month so I did not have to raid the ladies' room this time for a non-caffeinated drink. The talk was AMAZING. Reyn Bowman of the Durham Visitors and Convention Bureau started the talk off talking about all of the inventions that were started in Durham. It was a weird and wild mish-mosh of stuff...like bar codes (obviously used all the time) to a mood phone, a cell phone that works kinda like a mood ring but changes color based on the tone of your voice (obviously hasn't been that popular) to Taxol, a revolutionary breast cancer drug. They also had the granddaughter of CT Council, Sr., half of the team that discovered and manufactured BC Headache Powders, there to talk. She was so lovely and had that dry wit that so many Southern women have. It was nice to laugh the luncheon away.

I did catch up with a couple of friends while there and even had another belly touching moment. It is surprising how used I have gotten to this...it used to freak me out. Unfortunately, I found out that our good friend, John Dagenhart, has just been put on the transplant list for a kidney. Luckily, they are managing his disease currently with Procrit, and he doesn't have to dialysis for the moment. It got me to thinking how unfair life is...I mean the Dagenharts, who are the nicest, kindest, and most generous people in the world, can't seem to catch a break. Ellen told me after our loss that she and John miscarried three times when they first married. Ellen has had cancer scares, a hysterectomy, and breast surgery. A couple of years ago, John had prostate cancer and surgery and now this. It sucks, and it amazes me how they are able to cope with these continuous curve balls that are thrown at them.

When I got home, I made a bunch of phone calls. Jon thinks that our water meter is leaking as the meter box is full of water and water is seeping into the curb. The City told me that it would be looked at within 30 days. So much for water conservation! At least we tried. Verizon was a pain in my butt, so I punted that task to Jon. I met a nice carpenter to get a quote for our new screen doors. Otherwise, I have been working on our finances and getting everything organized. Blech!

Jon is meeting with Dr. Chat Cowherd tonight for dinner. This is the guy from MRI whose position Jon would take over if he were offered and accepted the position. As much as I loathe the idea of leaving my home, my friends, my family, and Durham in general, I am a little nervous for Jon because I know that this is important to him. It will be interesting to see how they hit it off. As for me, it is a quiet night with comfort food (leftover Polish fare that my Mom and Dad brought with them), the furbabies, Law and Order, and MS Money. Fun, huh?

Oh, and I just have to say that Jon laughs like a blithering idiot when he watches "Jon and Kate + Eight." Half of the reason I like watching it is simply for the comic factor of watching him have so much fun watching it!!! The kids are cute, too, but I have to admit that I get slightly panicky when they show Kate in her pink robe some mornings looking not so happy to being filmed. As a future mother of multiples, I worry that that is how I will be looking all the time!!!

3 comments:

Jon said...

Very nice post....I did notice you had worked on finances all day.

Verizon was a pain in my rear too. We think it might be time to switch.

Analee said...

ALLTEL!!! (i've been a customer for over 6 years now!)

as for looking like that everyday? you won't look like that every day. just a lot of them. you'll become a fan of the "evening showers" rather than the morning shower. and, comfy yogapants and tshirts will be a regular wardrobe. not because you don't have nice clothes (or can't fit into them), but when you only hae 2 seconds to dress, you look for things easy to find PLUS are comfy getting up and down off the floor, chairs, etc.

plus at least once a day you'll be slathered in spit up (which does stain sometimes). it seems a kinder thought to ruin a $10 tee than a $50 sweater (that has to be dry cleaned).

babies are so much fun. no matter what you wear, they are TOTALLY worth it.

Mrs. B said...

Loved your post, Shannon.

Heck, there are some days I stay in my work out pants all day long and I don't even have the excuse of having kids.

Just a dog that gets hair all over creation and a cat that, well, sometimes oozes various things.