Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fragility

Although I have tons of work to do, I need to take a minute and get something off my chest.

This morning I realized (again) how fragile life is.

Natasha Richardson's death was the start. Later this morning, I learned one of my colleagues died unexpectedly yesterday. Jon Black had been in the hospital for over a week. The doctor's thought it was pancreatitis. The autopsy determined he had terminal, inoperable pancreatic cancer. The cancer had gone undetected.

Jon is my age. He also has two little girls.

As of March 9th, he was healthy. We had a meeting together that afternoon. Ten days later, he is gone.

A sobering thought for a Dad with two little girls.....

1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

Very sorry to hear about your colleague, Jon. Very sorry.

And, also, poor Natasha. She was my age.

Whenever someone else is struck down by tragedy, it's always such a reminder to me that life is something to be enjoyed and cherised, not annoyed at (by small pettiness/irritants, or, even big ones).