Sunday, March 29, 2009

Dad's Favorite Beer

In case you don't subscribe, All About Beer magazine has a story on Dad's favorite beer. Readers were asked to submit brief anecdotes of their Dad's beer drinking habits. Also included was a list of all the beers that readers submitted. I'd heard of many, but a lot were local brews that, unfortunately, have stopped production.

I missed the submission deadline because I heard about it too late. So, here is my blog submission.

Dad's tradition (like most stories in the article) was to come home from work and immediately swing by the fridge to grab a beer before going to change clothes. That beer would be empty by the time he was changed. His second beer accompanied dinner or was consumed while grilling (usually on weekends). If I remember correctly, his third beer was optional on weeknights but almost always drunk on weekends.

Dad's favorites (unlike many other Dads) seemed to vary over the years. Dad has told stories of drinking PBR and Schlitz in the 60's. Coors was the favorite in the 70's. I distinctly remember Dad and Grandpa sitting in the garage at the farmhouse drinking Coors (probably hauled from California) and playing cards. Stroh's was the beer of the 80's, although I remember Dad consuming other brands occasionally. The other brands must have been "on sale." All these beers were canned; he never drank from bottles.

Somewhere along the way, maybe while on business travel, Dad started drinking imports. English and Irish beers seemed to be a favorite, especially Guinness (and remains so to this day). Dad contributed heavily to my beer bottle collection I accumulated in high school. My guess is Dad's fondness for imports led to his enjoyment of craft brews that became popular in the 90's.

Today, his house is always stocked with Yuengling, Guinness, Mendocino Brewing Co. beer (when on sale), and Corona (although I think that is for Mom). Carolina Brewery is another favorite, only available in growlers or 5 gal kegs. Dad will have to build his keg-erator so he can have a continual stash. That would get me over to their house a lot more...=). I don't remember Dad ever drinking Bud and Miller products.

My most vivid memory actually revolves around Doc and Dad. As a toddler, Doc would follow Dad around the house hoping for the "last sip." Dad almost always gave his almost empty can to Doc. There is a famous family photo of Doc sitting on the couch, head tilted all the way back with a Coors can to his lips, making sure he got the last drop.

If anyone has that picture, please scan it and share with everyone.

7 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Yep. Dad told me when I was in FL that he HATES Bud products.
I might have that picture somewhere...I'll take a look.

Analee said...

nathaniel has it on his wall at work. or at least a copy of it.

Doc said...

A copy of that picture hangs outside my office door below my name tag.

It stands as a testament that I'm not a stick in the mud, as many in the State would lead one to believe.

Also, not only was it Stroh's, but FIRE BREWED STROH's. I will always remember that royal blue can. I didn't take too many swigs out of those cans.

"mendangl" - too easy for my childish mind.

Doc said...

http://docgrinch.blogspot.com/2009/03/coors-original-goes-down-smooth.html

Doc said...

And now that I'm a Dad, I wonder if my kids memories will be of me drinking Miller High Life Lite (it's inexpensive).

THE CHAMPAGNE OF BEERS!

Alas, I rarely imbibe anymore, but I had a 12 pack of the HL in the fridge two weeks ago, and it was gone in 3 days...

Analee said...

i didn't drink any of it because it was miller (how inconsiderate of you to buy it). miller gives me migraines.

my kids will know blue moon is my favorite beer. assuming they make it when my kids are older.

Mrs. B said...

I'm with Jon. I don't have a favorite beer per se. I LOVE LOVE LOVE beer, though; probably even more the wine, believe it or not. I just don't drink it as often because, well, you know, "beer gut"; seems to hit me in the middle more than wine does.

My taste has definitely changed with beer; now I like more IPA (like Bell's Two Hearted) than ambers (although I really really like Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale).

YUM.