Monday, June 2, 2008

Nesting?

Shannon thinks I am nesting. According to the books, nesting is a behavior pregnant women exhibit to make sure they have their homes and lives in order before the chaos of raising children begins.

Maybe I am nesting. Maybe I am trying to selfishly squeezing as many of my favorite activities (within reason) into the final few days before Sophie and Jacqueline are born. Actually, what I am doing is not really selfish. I enjoy these activities, but Shannon & the pets benefit too. Shannon is very large & not very mobile. Combined with the pains from false labor, she is not the happiest camper in the world. As a good "coach", I need to keep her happy....usually with good meals, spending time with her, and allowing her to take it easy. The pets are acting kinda strange too. Not really strange like "Shannon is going into labor" strange, but they have been awfully needy. I figured I better spend time with them because they will feel neglected soon enough.

So what am I doing? Well, since last Saturday I have:

1. Selected several yummy recipes & went grocery shopping to get the ingredients. For whatever reason, I love grocery shopping and look forward to doing it so it is a "fun" activity.

2. Invited some neighbors to walk to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. We all took our dogs too, so Raven got to have a nice walk. While there, I purchased lots of fresh veggies to go with our meals. I really enjoyed myself and so did Raven.

3. Napped upstairs on the couch Saturday and Sunday afternoon with Raz & Tweedle.

4. Got my cooking fix satiated for the next couple weeks. I made calzones for the first time in my life. YUMMY! Shannon wasn't hungry that night, but we'll eat leftovers for dinner tomorrow. Also made steak & veggie quesadillas, veggie scrambled eggs & bacon, and pork tenderloin with sauteed kale.

5. Enjoyed some really good beer and port either by myself or with friends.

6. Made homemade chocolate chip ice cream. Shannon ate some ice cream even though she wasn't hungry.

7. Enjoyed sitting on the front porch enjoying a beer, talking with Shannon & eating the homemade ice cream, or listening to the thunderstorms.

8. Finished the spring yard work. Mulched the front. Planted tomatos (plants courtesy of Jon Cates, cages from Doug & Becky). Planted some nice flowers in an empty barrel along the driveway.

So, I don't think I am "nesting". Helping Shannon and spending as much time with the pets as much as possible before the girls are born is more like. I suppose I am distracting myself too. I am getting awfully excited.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Jon, you are nesting!!! You have conveniently left out that you have finally done all of those nagging tasks that you have put off for months like, changing the batteries in the smoke detectors and CO monitors, gluing together several broken things some of which, like the chandelier arm, that have been broken for years, etc. I am now waiting for you to fix the hot water leak in the master bathroom (hmmm, how long has it been since I have washed my face with warm water?). All this, what you listed, as well as the fact that our fridge and freezer are more full than I have EVER seen them, confirms my nesting suspicions!!! Nest away, sweetie, I love it and you!!!

Doc said...

Dude, you have to think of it from and engineering perspective. Shannon may say your nesting, but you can always say you are "organizing."

Make a flow chart of your activities and then it is no longer nesting, but an engineer's dream!

Can't wait to see your kids!

Mrs. B said...

It is amazing how much one can get done when one is "hanging around" waiting for something they are very much looking forward to happening!

We can't wait to meet the girls!

Analee said...

i... want... ice... cream...

you are very excited to be a dad, i can tell. everytime ya'll blog now it makes me cry. damn these hormones.