Sunday, June 8, 2008

June Books

Can you believe I read 3 books in June? I'm surprised. I will admit two books were short, quick reads. I attribute my success reading to the lack of anything remotely entertaining on daytime TV.

Cluster by Piers Anthony. I returned to my teenage roots again to re-read this sci-fi novel. I remember it not being one of my favorites at that time. After reading it again, I realize I was a little young to fully understand the nuances in the book. I did understand the sex, though! A classic, sci-fi tale about using your intellect, naivete, and libido to unite a galaxy of different cultures. The underlying morals of the story (acceptance of differences, cooperation for the common good) are classic themes. This book, I think, also was the first by the author that had a heavy Tarot influence. The remainder of this series (4 more books) plus another trilogy revolve heavily around Tarot as a unifying tool explain how people's actions affect the fate of the universe. I'll need to learn more about Tarot from Amy and maybe have her give me a reading.

The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis. Book 4 of the Narnia series. A quick, easy read while adjusting to the new routine at home with Sophie & Jacqueline. I did like the moral of the story - follow through when an authority figure gives you instructions or your life will become more difficult.
The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis. Book 5 of the Narnia series. This book showed its age. The story is not very accepting of other cultures. Also, it is a little heavy on the "divine intervention" influence on your life.

No comments: