Monday, March 8, 2010

Adventures with Daddy - Day 6

Day 6 – The Drive (reprise)

We were just about on schedule Monday morning. We said our sad goodbye’s and were on the road by 8:10 AM.

I did not know what to expect driving with 2 awake girls in the back all day. Luckily, I was inspired to add some books to their stash of blankets and animals. The books were a big, big hit. They read for hours. Only problem was when books fell onto the floor or someone had a book the other wanted.

Our first stop was a rest area in Osceola National Forest (along I-10) around 11:30 AM. A picnic lunch, some run-around time and bathroom break for all. The girls were very good and stayed in the area around the picnic blanket. They loved all the semi-trucks coming/going. We were back on the road around 1 PM .

Our second stop was a fuel fill-up in Georgia, where the gas is cheap but road construction is awful. There was 30+ miles of 1 lane interstate around Brunswick.

Our third and final stop was Forsyth Park in Savannah around 4 PM. Yes, we returned. I decided to let the girls run around for 90 minutes and then we ate dinner in the Park café. The cafe staff were nice and heated the girls dinner. I purchased dinner there. The food was pretty good…..coffee was even better. It kept me going for the next 5 hours since home was the next stop. I didn't even make a bathroom stop! I will admit I was close to bursting when I pulled into our driveway at 10:45 PM!

As I mentioned, books were a big hit. They’d doze off with a book in their lap. Very cute! The girls also decided they liked Jimmy Buffett. They’d sing and dance in the back when I played his CDs.

An interesting observation about my return trip was the number of comments about how "brave" I was for taking 2 toddlers on a big trip by myself. Young, old, families, other parents, teenage girls, gas station attendants all made comments. Now it is not like I was on my own for 5 days. I had help from Grandma and Grandpa. Also, J&S are good kids and very easy to care for.

1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

Great pix as usual. Am hoping that road construction in GA isn't too awful for me tomorrow!