Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sigh...

Well, it turned out that I didn't catch Jacqueline's cold! BTW, her sniffles were gone by the weekend and, all in all, it was not bad.

I thought that it was weird that nursing Sophie early Monday morning sorta hurt, but I chalked it up to being very engorged. After I got her back to sleep, I had trouble getting to sleep myself and then woke up feeling headachey, feverish, and naseous. I took my temperature, and it was 100.5 degrees. My first thought was "uh, oh!" and to take a look at my boobs. Sure enough, there was a tell-tale red patch on my right breast. Mastitis AGAIN!

My fever broke luckily before lunch, so I felt so much better and told Jon to go to work. At 2 p.m., Sophie, Jacqueline, and I went to the doctor (had to go back to Durham OB/GYN because it is after my post-partum period) so that they could evaluate me. Kind of a bummer that they just would not call in a prescription for me. I saw Dr. Duncan, who was the doctor who diagnosed the PPROM with Baby Thornburg. He did not know that I was pregnant and had twins and seemed genuinely excited and happy for us. This must be the happy side of being an OB/GYN, not what he had to do to us a little over a year and a half ago.

He took a look, confirmed my diagnosis, and gave me a script for Augmentin. I went to Costco to fill it immediately (fever came back so I felt like I was dying while I waited for it to be ready). I must have caught it very early because, after being on the antibiotics for two days and resting a bunch, I feel SO much better. I also don't seem to have any production issues because the twins still seem satiated. Breathing a sigh of relief...

In other good news, Sophie has returned to sleeping through the night. Maybe she was fighting off a cold or it was the change in routine with Babcia and Dzia-Dzio going back home or it was something different like a little acid reflux. Who knows? But, things appear to be getting back to normal. I've even gotten her to giggle a couple times more by giving her raspberries on her neck...nothing as good as that first time, which makes me wonder if it was gas issues that were waking her up in the middle of the night.

Jon is in Birmingham as of yesterday until late tomorrow night. We are all doing surprisingly well...I must be getting used to this motherhood thing! Mike, Tara, and Alina are also coming tomorrow night for a weekend visit. Then, on Wednesday, Tara, the girls, and I drive up to Pennsylvania for a week's visit while Jon is in California for his high school reunion and a work conference. We will all see each other briefly the following weekend before he leaves for work again. It is a busy time for us all!!! But, exciting!!!

No comments: