Friday, October 17, 2008

Chapter 2: Tour

Woo Hoo! It's a beautiful day in Southern California. No clouds or fog. Temperature is in the low 70's. I couldn't have picked a better day to visit.

I exit the rental car lot and find my way to Sepulveda and start heading south. I immediately recognize several landmarks from my past. Restaurants, strip malls, and hotels are the common sites I remember. However, in other instances what used to be no longer exists. For whatever reason, I remember the Godfather Pizza/Chuck E. Cheese (building had 2 lives) on Sepulveda. That entire building is gone and replaced with a Whole Foods. I notice many other similar instances, mainly because of the "newness" of the buildings.

Surprisingly, traffic is not as bad as I remember. I also remember the "Esplanade" runs right along the beach. I decide that would be a nice drive. Unfortunately, I have difficulty finding it. I forgot it starts south of Redondo Beach Pier. I do find it though and start wishing I had a convertible.

I roll down all the windows and I am immediately hit by the smell of the Pacific Ocean. I could smell that salt in the air (very nice) along with the rotting seaweed (not so nice). I'm cruising along and notice many parents enjoying the morning with their kids; walking or biking along the boardwalk is a popular activity. The sight reminds me how much I miss S, J, & S.

The Esplanade is not a continuous road, so by sheer luck I make it to PV Boulevard. I suddenly remember that I don't have a camera. I also have to pee. I'm also getting hungry. I remember a Vons should be around here somewhere. The Vons is right where I remembered, so I quickly relieve myself and purchase a camera and some lunch.

I finally make it to the Malaga Cove parking lot and start the trek down to Rat Beach. My first stop is the gazebo overlooking the beach, PVBRC pool (a private club), and cliffs. Not too exciting, although I notice a sign that says "No Weddings Allowed per PVE ordinance etc." I chuckle and head for the path to the beach. Funny how youth distorts your impressions. To get to Rat Beach, you have to walk down a steep, paved path then walk along an easy path at the base of the cliff before you get to the beach itself. I remember the path up/down the hill as being very, very long. This time, it wasn't quite as long as I remembered.

I hit the beach and revulsion hits my senses. I had forgotten how west coast sand is more like soil & brown than the fine, white sand at the NC beaches. It took a while to re-adjust to the clay-like, sticky feeling.

Once on the beach, I'm having a great time. I immediately walk into the water. Brrrr! The Pacific isn't nice and warm like the Atlantic either. I stroll along in the water, though, until my feet are numb. Pelicans are dive bombing for food, a few surfers are out, and some families are enjoying a nice day at the beach. I plop down in the sand and watch some pathetic surfers and call Shannon. She's out at the Philly Pops with her Dad, but I talk with Wanda for a few minutes. Otherwise, I just relax and soak up the sun and waves. I walk down to Torrance Beach, chat with a lifeguard for a few (surf was awesome the day before, he said), then head back.

I return to the Malaga Cove parking lot and notice.....1) a wedding has just started in the gazebo and 2) I stepped in tar while on the beach. You can't go to the beach in LA without stepping in tar! It must have been a speed wedding, because they finish the ceremony and snap some photos before I finish cleaning my feet.

It's now time to head for the old homestead. I cruise along Paseo Del Mar (the scenic route) as far as I can. Along the way, I feel my architectural preservationist starting to grumble. I make it to Via Estudillo, park, and begin a walking tour. So here I am being a typical tourist. Our old house looks the same as the last photo I saw. A Volvo SUV is parked at the curb and shoes are piled by the front door. I contemplate knocking on the door, but chickened out (Shannon later chastised me). Instead, I walk out to the open field that has now become a park dedicated to Grandpa Proudfoot. It's beautifully landscaped and quite pleasant. Besides walking around Rico Place and Espinoza Circle, I didn't do much else in the 'hood. I didn't see anyone either. I did notice the Kowal's house looked oddly vacant even though there was a car in the driveway. I peeked in the windows and saw no furniture in the entire house. I wonder if the estate is still in probate? If so, is someone just living in the basement apartment as a caretaker? I take several photographs then head to PVHS.

Not much happening at PVHS. For being such a rich neighborhood, PVHS is really showing its age. All the buildings need painted, the original lockers are still in use, and all the portable classrooms from the 80's are still there. They can, however, spend a ton of money building an entirely new swimming pool. Are their priorities backwards? I find my old locker (#378) and use my old "Fonz" trick to get it open. Hit the door in the right spot and the door pops right open. I never did know the combination for that locker. Nice to see the current tenant is keeping it clean and neat....must be a girl. I try a similar "Fonz" trick on a door leading to the gym. Unfortunately, all the doors are new and I can't get inside. I really would have like to see the gym. I settle for strolling around the baseball field. While walking around PVHS, I realize what was bugging me about the houses. The architecture of the older houses in PVE is really quite stunning. I noticed numerous details, ones I never noticed before, that really give the houses character. The problem is that about 1 out of 4 houses is obviously new construction. Without question, everyone new house looks like a Mexican Villa. Stone washed adobe looking exterior, lots of arches, and every window has a little veranda. At least the houses weren't over-size for the lot. Several were erected in place of cute Cape Cods that were there in the 80's.

It's getting close to 3 PM. My trip down memory lane is quickly ending. It's time to head for the hotel to rest and get cleaned up. I decided to driver over the hill to get onto Hawthorne. On the drive, I notice the distinct difference in houses in Rancho Palos Verdes compared to PVE. RPV is looking rough...almost shoddy. I guess PVE is the place to live on the "hill".

The drive to the hotel in Carson (near the Home Depot Center) is uneventful, although traffic how I remember. Very bad. It doesn't help none of the stoplights are synchronized. Some things never change.

Random facts.

1. The parking lot at Torrance Beach now costs $5 per hour, $15 per day. It used to be free. I guess LA County is desperate for cash.

2. The statue of Poseidon(?) at Malaga Plaza has been replaced. Last time I saw it, his head and an arm were gone. Alas, the new one does not have water coming from his penis. Doc will be disappointed. I remember he always found that funny.

3. The houses along the cliffs at Rat Beach have built paths down the cliff from the house to some very nice patios/terraces at beach level. These folks dropped some serious cash. One was fully landscaped, had a little cabana, outdoor grill, seating for 20, and a hot tub.

4. Lunada Bay Hardware is still in business. The Lunada Bay Grocery is now an "organic market & bakery."

5. McCain-Palin signs were everywhere in PV. Surprised? I saw one Obama-Biden sign. It was very small and in the window. Might they have been embarrassed?

1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

Very interesting Blog series, Jon.

Going back down memory lane sure can be something.

I know every time I go to Tierrasanta, I am amazed at a) how huge the trees are b) how many new stores/strip malls there are near the entrance to Tierrasanta (Tierrasanta Blvd.) c) how dowdy Navy Housing still is d) how weird looking the high school is and e) the distance from the high school down Tierrasanta Blvd. to the turn off for our "hood" (Tambor?) is no where near as long as it seemed when I used to have to walk it!

Looking forward to your post re your reunion. Obviously, it was not as "eventful" as my 20th, thank God!