Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chapter 1: Travel

I am traveling to Los Angeles today. Earlier in the week I was ambivalent about returning to Los Angeles and Palos Verdes, where I grew up. In 20 years, I haven't had the desire to see my classmates or return to the area. This morning, however, I am strangely excited.


At first, I am only eager to walk along Rat Beach and watch the surfers. The beach and surfing were the only part of life in Palos Verdes I truly enjoyed. I remember, also, that the Redondo Beach Brewing Company is somewhere nearby. I love beer. I should check it out.


The planes are completely full. It is impossible to sleep even though I am exhausted. I work until my laptop battery is dead. Over an hour remains until we land in Los Angeles. So I reflect about my high school days and the reunion later that night. There are a few people I would not mind seeing. A few classmates perform interesting research that I have read about in various technical magazines. I expect a small group of attendees. Maybe with a small group conversations will be intimate and meaningful. I won't enjoy several hours of "living in NC, wife, 2 kids, dog, 2 cats, work in research." Too superficial. My biggest worry is that the reunion will be solely attended by the clics that have remained in contact with each other over the years. I'd definitely be an outsider in that situation. If that happens, maybe I could hang out with some spouses?


What else should I do until the reunion? Will I have time to visit the old house? What about the high school? Those places will be my next stops after visiting Rat Beach. I need to nap before the reunion so hitting the brew pub becomes optional.


We are flying over the LA basin. I am disappointed I don't have a window seat. I wish I could see Disneyland, the freeways, and PV as the plane lands. Maybe I will change my seat for the flight home.


I am waiting for my luggage. I'm really excited to hit the beach. Just my luck that my bag is one of the last ones. Thank goodness getting the rental car was quick and easy.

3 comments:

Doc said...

You are a braver man than I to go to Palos Verdes and actually INTERACT with people.

The last two times I've been, I spoke to no one and just enjoyed the sights, the smells and the sounds of the ocean.

Good luck bro!

Mrs. B said...

All was fine at your house while you were gone...except for me getting "locked in" your house Sunday afternoon! Ha ha.

Jon said...

thanks, doc.

chapter 3 will describe the reunion.