Monday, July 28, 2008

Welcome to Alina Grace Mohr Goldfine!!!


Due July 31st, Miss Alina Grace Mohr Goldfine couldn't wait to come into this world and join her baby cousins. Alina was born on July 24th at 1:30 a.m. weighing in at 6 pounds 11 ounces and 19 3/4 inches long.
This story is too good not to share...

Tara went into labor at 4:30 p.m. while visiting our parents' house in New Hope to enjoy the pool. Mike had just called from work to say that he would be by soon to pick her up to go home. Dad was prattling on about how he was going to take advantage of the tax law changes and convert all of his traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs, and Tara felt like she had wet her pants. She waited for a break in the conversation, which did not come, and finally said "uh, Dad." Dad looked at her and said, "I know, I'm probably boring you." Tara replied, "no, I think that my water just broke." Dad asked, "are you sure?" Note...this must be a common doctor question as it was the same question I got when I called the OB on call the night my water broke. Of course, all of we first-time moms are thinking how do we even know...this is the first time we have done this!!!

Mike comes and they drive an hour back to Philly. Tara hadn't packed a bag for the hospital yet (love ya, girl, but you are the supreme procrastinator), so she does this, takes a shower, and eats dinner. It is 8:30 p.m. before they get to the hospital (o.k., I was freaking out that it took us an hour to get everything together and get to the hospital). At 10:30 p.m., she is only 2 cm dialated (I was 4 cm upon arrival). And, as you see above, Alina arrived at 1:30 a.m. By the time that Tara felt that she had to ask for an epidural, she was 9 cm, so it was too late.

At any rate, Tara and I had the totally opposite pregnancy experiences. I had every symptom known to pregnant women and was wearing maternity clothes by Thanksgiving (our transfer was in October) and then I had the only slightly less than mega-marathon labor of 16 hours, 6 of which were spent pushing. Oh, and there was 87-pound weight gain. And then there's Tara...not sick...no edema...no carpal tunnel...so svelte that an outfit that I had wanted to wear for my shower in April but couldn't fit into was way too big for her a couple of weeks ago...gets the three-hour labor!!! Darn her!!! Oh well, I suppose whoever said life was fair???

Well, however Sophie, Jacqueline, and Alina got here, we are are so happy that they are here and we are looking forward to much family fun in the years to come!!!
P.S. Sophie and Jacqueline were secretly wishing for a little girl cousin :-)

3 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Congrats to Tara and Mike and your folks of course and you the new aunt and and uncle and cousins.

Whew. What IS it with all of the babies this year? :-)

Analee said...

i remember my water breaking... what an experience. congrats to your growing families! i love the name, too. very pretty, very girly.

Unknown said...

That's not all true - I did get carpal tunnel in the last month. I also had the jerk supervisor who told me to pack up my office when I was 8.5 months pregnant. I also had the husband who broke his leg when I was 8 months pregnant. It wasn't all roses...but my water breaking during the middle of Dad's discussion will be the story for ages...