Sunday, July 27, 2008

Beer Bucket List

All About Beer magazine (www.allaboutbeer.com) published a list of 125 places to have a beer before you die. You might want to check out the list and see how many places you have patronized. The list definitely gives me another goal in my life! I think I need to travel internationally though.

In the order ranked by the magazine, here are the places I have quaffed a few. As a special treat, #126 is the one I think should have made the list.....

#23 - Henry's 12th Street Tavern, Portland OR. Visited during a conference one year
#25 - World Beer Festival, Durham NC. It's right down the street...been every year but 1.
#39 - Flying Saucer Bar, Raleigh NC. Better selection than Tyler's!
#44 - Tailgating at a SEC football game. I still don't like Georgia fans.
#76 - City Tavern, Philadelphia PA. Very colonial. They serve the beer in pewter mugs.
#88 - Baumgartner's Cheese Store & Tavern, Monroe WI. Beautiful stone building. Hung out there after a wedding in 1994.
#110 - The Gingerman, Austin TX (& Houston TX). Where I first discovered the world of craft beer.
#118 - Top of the Hill Brewery, Chapel Hill NC. Wonderful view from the balcony and great beer. Clientele can be a little snobby sometimes.
#125 - The Happy Gnome, St Paul MN. Also patronized during a conference.

Close but no cigar....
#9 - Monk's Cafe, Philadelphia PA. I was there for brunch...drinking Mimosa's.
#16 - Seats on top of the Green Monster at Fenway Park, Boston MA. The seats were not there last time I was at Fenway. I did sit in the outfield bleachers.
#31 - Turn 4 Suites and Indy Motor Speedway, Indianapolis IN. Yeah right, like I could get seats......I did drink beer at the Indy 500 though.

Place that should be on the list.....

#126 - The Terrace at the U. Wisconsin Union. Beautiful place to eat brats, ice cream, and drink beer while overlooking the lake on a summer evening.

3 comments:

Mrs. B said...

I can't believe they rave about the beer at the Indy 500!

Those suites must stock a completely different line of beer!

Miriam said...

Funny, Jeff and Hayden just went to the Allstate 400 at IMS this weekend (lucked out with some free tix)... not in the suite, and no beer, though...I'll have to tell him he missed out! Hayden represents for the south, he is a sick NASCAR fan.

Turner Hall of Monroe said...

Are you sure it was Baumgartner's Cheese Store and Tavern (#88) you were at in 1994? It is not a stone building...but the Turner Hall of Monroe is, which is also a venue for many wedding receptions, featuring a beautiful Ratskeller Restaurant in the lower level.