Thursday, May 8, 2008

April Books

Only read 2 books in April while I was traveling. Another slow month because of nursery preparations. I suppose I should get used to it. Maybe I'll start posting baby books and nursery rhymes when the time comes.

Both books this month were by the duo Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

Book of the Dead turned out to be the last of a series of books set in the New York Museum of Natural History. Although the authors intend all their books to stand-alone, they did acknowledge this book was the last of a loosely linked series. I agree that you did not need to read the previous books first. However, there were some character development details that were glossed over because they probably were covered in previous books. I'd give the book 2 out of 5 stars. The story was ho-hum with made for Hollywood, unbelievable twists at the end.

Thunderhead was one of the loosely related books that I read. The lead character in this novel had a small role in Book of the Dead. This novel, set in the America Southwest, was a fun, entertaining book. I would recommend reading it. Interesting characters and an imaginative plot. Interestingly, though, the personality of the lead character changed substantially between Thunderhead and Book of the Dead. I don't think such a dramatic change would occur in real-life.

3 comments:

Mrs. B said...

The 2nd one does sound pretty good. I am still plowing through Terry Goodkind; I think I am on the 5th one now.

But, in between them, I do read other books!

Analee said...

i've read a couple of bad books over the past couple of months. so bad that i don't even remember what they were.

and you're right... goodnight moon will be your favorite book in about 6 months. you'll know it by heart.

Mrs. B said...

Analee, I sure hope they were not any of the ones I left you to read!