Thursday, September 22, 2011

Northwest Beers

I am finishing my third trip to the Northwest in 3 years. I have had some excellent beers in Montana, Idaho, and eastern Washington. Here are my favorites (in case you ever come this way).

Coldsmoke (Kettle Brewing Co.): A malty, toffee flavored scotch ale. A superb beer. So good, I stuffed some in my suitcase.

Moose Drool (Big Sky Brewing): Yes, that is the name of this excellent brown ale. Also taking some home.

IPA and Creme Ale (Northern Lights Brewing, Spokane WA): Both were very good examples of their styles. Fresh and yummy.

Porter (Kootenai River Brewing, Bonner's Ferry ID): A brewpub overlooking the Kootenai river. The porter was good.....more like a "light" stout than a porter. Too much chocolate and too dark. Porters should be dark, ruby red with a hint of chocolate/toffee/caramel. They had 6 other beers on tap....I'd love to try more.


Bonus: Pizza pick of the Northwest. If you are anywhere near Libby, MT, you have to eat at the Red Dog Saloon. They have some of the best pizza ever! Also serve peanuts (and you can drop the shells on the floor). The Red Dog is outside of town so you might need to ask for directions. Roughly, go north on Hwy 37 from downtown Libby. Turn left at the sign for the landfill and Yaak (yes, the name of a town). Drive several miles. The Red Dog is on the right.

No comments: