Friday, August 15, 2008

Update & Other Musings

I thought an update on Sophie and Jacqueline was in order. We've been pretty busy lately, so haven't had much time to visit neighbors or post to the blog. One big event was the Walbring (my Mom's family) family reunion. I think it was a huge success and I had a great time. Sophie and Jacqueline coped amazingly well with all the people and activities over the weekend. Of course, they were tired too and were a little cranky for a few days after the reunion ended.

For those who inquire (and those who don't), Sophie and Jacqueline are close to sleeping through the night; corresponding to Mom and Dad getting more sleep. We put them to bed about 9:30 PM, after a bedtime feeding. One usually wakes up between 3 and 4 AM. I think the other would continue sleeping, maybe thru the night, but we wake the other to feed at the same time. Much thanks to Shannon for handling the 3 AM feeding solo so Jon can sleep (fyi..duties are split fairly even....I handle any issues from 9:30 PM till I fall asleep; and again from 5 AM to 7 AM).

A big, recent "Dad" learning moment was realizing that the girls like variety. Once you handle the hungry, diaper, and sleepy issues, keeping the twins happy is just a matter of finding the toy they want to play with or the room they want to hang out in. Both really enjoy sitting on the front porch looking at the sky and trees.

Sophie still is the mellow baby in the house. Although she seems to have developed a more serious aspect to her personality. She spends a lot of time concentrating very hard on various items (hands, lights, mobiles, etc.). She furrows her brow and stares very intently at the object. Usually during these periods, she'll let out a heavy sigh. Like she is saying "woe is me." She generally is a quiet, happy girl. However, if she gets upset she can really holler! Sophie is still bigger and more physically advanced than Jacqueline too. Although, Sophie is losing her hair!

Jacqueline is still more needy and likes to be held. She is not as demanding as she was before. Part of it is her maturation and part is our understanding of her "meltdown" point. Soothing and comforting her before she goes ballistic is much, much easier. She also is much better at soothing herself, especially when she is tired. Although Sophie is larger and stronger, I am convinced Jacqueline will be the first to crawl, walk, and talk. She already can wiggle her way across the floor using a crawling motion with her legs. She's just not strong enough to prop herself on her knees and hands. She also likes to stand (with assistance) on her legs and try to walk. Jacqueline also has an impressive range of coos, chirps, squeaks, and laughs. Sophie is not as talkative. Finally, Jacqueline may have inherited the "love to look at myself in the mirror" gene that runs in my family. She loves to look at herself; Sophie could care less.

As I wrap-up this post, here are some random thoughts that have been running through my head and some other news.

1. Some new parents leased a billboard on the Durham Freeway announcing the birth of their son. I guess that is a unique way to announce their happy news.

2. Remember a few years ago on a previous blog, I complained about tomato thieves that turned out to be raccoons, possums, and squirrels because of the drought? Well, the thieves are back. Three almost ripe tomatoes have vanished. Still no idea whether the thieves this year have 4 or 2 legs.

3. All the houses on our block are occupied again! YEAH! It's nice having neighbors. Several other new neighbors have moved nearby too!

4. I just remembered, World Beer Festival tickets went on sale today for magazine subscribers. I'm gonna stop here and purchase my tickets before I forget. Oh yeah, I suppose I should get back to work too.

1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

Great update!

BTW, were you able to get beer festival tix? Mark's been trying all weekend via their web site and it's been down. They assure him we'll get the chance to buy before the general public, but, I'm getting worried!