Monday, August 24, 2009

Tweedle: R.I.P

Tweedle Thornburg
October, 2003 (est.) - August 23, 2009

Sad news to report.

Tweedle died unexpectedly on Sunday.

About 5 AM on Sunday morning, I put Tweedle outside so Shannon and I could get a little more sleep after a long drive back from Philadelphia. He did not come to the door for breakfast. After Tweedle did not show for dinner, we started to get worried. Raven and I walked the neighborhood after putting J&S to bed. I found Tweedle lying along the bushes between Charlie & Ida's house and the apartments. Our best guess is that Tweedle ate some rat poison at or near the apartments. He was physically intact. It was clear Tweedle was not hit by a car or mauled by a dog.

Tweedle is buried in our backyard next to Pie.

Tweedle transformed from a skittish, feral cat into one of the sweetest cats I've known. Whenever we came home, he was always sitting on the island waiting to greet us. He was loving and patient with J&S, allowing them to pat and pull his fur.

It's hard to believe Tweedle was part of our family for almost 5 years; probably because we expected to Tweedle be around for many more years. We lured him inside in November, 2004. When all the adoption agencies said he could not be adopted because he was feral, we kept him rather than put him back on the street. His death yesterday is a shock because we were expecting Tweedle to grow with J&S and fill all our lives with joy for a long, long time.

We love you Tweedle. We will miss you.

Jon, Shannon, Sophie, Jacqueline, Raz, and Raven

2 comments:

Analee said...

:(

Mrs. B said...

Our thoughts are with you all. I am especially sad since I just spent the better part of two weeks hanging out with Tweedo-Bandito (one of my nicknames for him). He liked to help me do the crossword and sat on my lap keeping me company the entire time I had to hold the backdoor shut waiting for Mark to come rescue us.

He'll be greatly missed by us, too.
RIP, Sweetie Tweedie.