Monday, September 8, 2008

Coincidences

This odd coincidence has occurred several times since we've lived in Durham. I'm sure I've told my family about it before. It happened again tonight so worth documenting on the blog.

Soon after Shannon and I moved into our house in 1998, I received a call one night from "Grandpa". He was a jolly fellow (like Grandpa T.), called me "Jon", lived in Indiana, loved fishing, and playing cards. We had a really nice conversation for about 10 minutes. About then, he asked how I liked my job at the pickle company. Knowing my Grandpa was old, I explained I was an engineer working in RTP in case he had forgotten. Grandpa was adamant that I had a business degree and worked for Mt. Olive Pickle Company. Everything clicked and we realized his grandson and I were different people. It just happens that the Mt. Olive "Jon" (also with given name "Jonathan") and I have phone numbers that differ by a single digit.

Over the years, Grandpa called me by accident once or twice per year. Always a trip, because he would never say "hi"...he'd jump right into some story.

In 2003, I received a phone call from a crying gentleman named "Uncle Bob" telling me that "Grandpa", his father, had died. Very freaky that I also have an Uncle Bob, although he is not related to Grandpa T. My Uncle Bob is my Mom's brother in-law.

"Uncle Bob" lives in Indiana too and he accidentally calls me once every year or two.

Tonight, he called again wanting to know if my Dad was at work. I thought it was MY Uncle Bob so I said "no, he's camping with you at Turkey Run State Park." He replied with "no, shouldn't his shift at the pickle plant have just started?" DING, DING, DING....off go the bells. We all remembered the situation, had a nice chuckle, and hung-up. A few minutes later, he called back. He wanted confirmation that my parents were camping at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana. When I replied "yes" and they are camping with my Uncle Bob and Aunt Mary who live near Brazil, Indiana, he really laughed. This "Uncle Bob" lives about 7 miles from the park. He also has a daughter named "Rebecca" that is a waitress at the restaurant inside the park. I explained my Dad and his two sons went to Purdue and my parents are in Indiana for a few weeks RVing and going to football games. Since "Uncle Bob" didn't respond with "Go Boilers!", I will assume he is not a Purdue fan.

Anyway, to any family in Indiana that reads this post please stop by the Turkey Run Inn and ask for Rebecca. I also can't wait for the next call in a few years.

2 comments:

Civisi said...

I think I'll be heading to Turkey Run the first part of next month. I'll say "Hi" if I do.

Mrs. B said...

How WEIRD!
I wish I'd get interesting "wrong number" calls like that!
All we get are bill collectors looking for either "Danny" or "Jeff Perry!"